Friday, February 11, 2022

Dead Kennedys - Frankenchrist (1985)

 Dead Kennedys - Frankenchrist (1985)

So many things to say about this album. We can talk about the band and what they meant (mean) to the U.S. hardcore and punk scene. We can talk about the figure known as Jello Biafra. We can talk about how wrong people are when they talk about punk being a talentless form of music, and completey missing the intricacy that does exist in music such as what DK did. We can also talk about petty bickering and how money can ruin great things too. 

We can obviously also talk about censorship and banned albums and images. 

Yes, this is the album that took Dead Kennedys from being one of the most important underground bands, to actually being a household name that even grandparents knew about (and were horrified by the name). All thanks to a poster of a bunch of willies painted by a man best known for creating an alien that gave people the willies. 

I remember the controversy quite well. Of course, I was one of those punks who was already a fan of the band. I can't remember if I bought the cassette before or after the controversy, but I know my thought process was at some point "yeah, I don't need that poster," completely oblivious to the future collectability of the album. Seriously, nobody ever thought about the "future value" of this stuff. Most of us were made fun of for liking this "garbage." Who would have think that this stuff would some day be the most sought after form of music on the planet?

At the time, I liked the album. But, my cassette was good enough. I grabbed cassettes mainly due to the ease of transport and car use. Plus, they were much easier to get out of the record stores with nobody noticing. 

This copy here is a re-homed copy. It belonged to an old friend from high school who is clearing out parts of her collection. So, it only made sense to keep it in a part of the friend group. If she ever needs to visit, she knows where to find it for visitations. I

This copy is lacking the liner notes and aforementioned poster. The record looks like a punk album that came out in the 80s. I question any punk releases from the era that are in mint condition. We were punks, it wasn't about being anal with our records. I took care of them, but all my records and cassettes definitely looked like they were used. 

Listening to it again, after many years without listening, I am actually very much enjoying this one. It isn't as blazing as Fresh Fruit, but the songs are definitely infective little creatures, with some killer hooks and grooves.

"Jock-O-Rama" is making me realize I think I stole the concept for a song I wrote way back in the day. I guess I forgot about that little bit. Good thing I never made it. Pretty sure Mr. Biafra would have been knocking at my door.

As I sit here listening to this, I am also struck by the old thought I always had when people spoke about "great sound quality" with CDs and whatnot. I was one who always said "Pfft, I am listening to music recorded in basements for budgets of pennies." Basically stating that what I was listening to really didn't require the finest sound systems and high-end equipment, or the best of the recorded formats. The bands didn't rely on expensive production budgets or the highest of quality instruments. Hell, some bands recorded using borrowed instruments. 

I now to have a pretty good quality system. But, I can also say that the static and slight issues of the age of the records is adding to the listening experience. This isn't meant as a knock of the music. In fact, to the contrary, this is a case of the music is "salt of the earth," it is real, it is raw. High sheen and polish just won't work for this. 

Good stuff here. A classic album that I am actually enjoying a whole lot more now than I did in 1985 when I first bought the dang thing. 

Thanks to Colleen for the tunes.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Marillion - An Hour Before It's Dark, no review yet

So, I did say that most of the new reviews are going to be stream of consciousness as I listen, and that is mostly true. But, there have to ...