Sunday, February 7, 2021

Chromatic Aberration - The Trial of the King (2021)





 I will agree that it is a little odd that the first "return" post I am making right now is actually for a digital download. But, in my defense, I have always said that the most important thing is not the media that I am collecting, it is all about the music. I am not a person who will buy up a massive lot of albums being sold just because they are a good price. I would rather spend a large sum on that one piece of music I have been hunting, than on a bunch of albums I will never listen to, no matter how long they are in my collection. Music is what I love, the media I love it on the most is vinyl, but if there is no other option, I go for the music. 

Which brings us to the new release, possibly technically the true debut, from Chromatic Aberration. 43 minutes of progressive rock indulgence, created by two guys living across the country from each other, who somehow managed to finish off a project during this pandemic we are existing in right now.

I say "possibly" a debut because there is one other release on Bandcamp from the duo called The Nomad. However, in their short Bandcamp bio, they refer to an earlier demo, which is what The Nomad could possibly be. Song one on The Nomad is "Fortune Hunter," which is what kicks off The Trial of the King. The version on The Nomad does indeed sound more "demo" like than the version we find here.

Whatever the case might be, what we do have here is a very strong offering, especially when we consider this is two guys creating this thing from across the country. The duo (with help from a few friends on vocal duties) play a form of symphonic prog (lush instrumentations, heavy on composition, almost orchestral, often times featuring longer song lengths, for those unfamiliar with the term). In their own admission they call out an obvious love for Rush (yeah, they get really close to lifting straight from the catalog, or brains, of Lifeson and Lee, I can't figure out which), but one also hears Yes and Genesis in their music. For Yes it is in instrumental composition choices at times, whereas Genesis comes into play with the guitar tones at times, and some of the solos. 

Vocally, however, they are totally different from those bands, and it works quite well, especially on track 2, "Lord of the City." I have always felt that the vocals are either the final winning touch to a Prog outfit, or the death knell. In this case, the vocals work in their uniqueness, and in their ability. 

The band, Joe Rubio (guitars, bass and keyboards) and Steve Chait (drums, percussion, and something vocals), definitely seem more interested in catchy songs with meaningful parts, than they do with extreme flash. In these ways they carry their love of Rush. Strong musicianship, but nothing that ever feels like showing off, or being flashy for the sake of being flashy. Everything fits in its place. 

The album does end with the 21 minute epic "The Trial of the King," and I give them credit for having the guts to go down this path. However, normally these epics are the highlights of the albums. In this case I am not walking away thinking that it is the highpoint. It definitely has some serious highpoints, such as the beginning, which is a complete collision of Rush and Genesis in every single way. But, I think "Lord of the City" is my favorite track at this point. But, as I type this I am listening to "The Trial of the King," and am still finding all these parts that I do love (the section around the 12-minute mark is just wonderful). A great song, but I expect that if these two keep going, they still have their best work ahead of them, and I don't want to build too much hype up yet. 

So, this is the third brand new, released in 2021, album that I have listened to so far this year. At this point this is my favorite release of 2021. Do I expect it to remain number one? No. Do I anticipate it moving out of the top 10? Well, it is kind of a win-win for me here. If it does fall out, then that means there have been 10 amazing releases this year. If it remains, that means it has endured the year, which means it is as good as I feel like it is right now. 

One more thing, this is available on Bandcamp. If you don't have an account on Bandcamp, get your head out of your butt and sign up. It is the best place to buy music from bands, especially on the artist Friday thing they do. The first Friday of every month Bandcamp waves their fees so that the artist makes 94% (or so) of the money. That was the day that I bought this one. This album, by the way, will set you back an entire dollar. You can stream it on Apple Music, but don't be a shmuck. At the very least go and pay the buck for this thing. I threw in a few extra dollars, as every album on Bandcamp is a "this is how much we are charging, but you can pay more if you want" thing. But even if you do just send a buck, that is cool. But, seriously, this is worth more than that. Plus, the more of us that buy it, the more there is a chance that maybe, just maybe, these guys will do a vinyl release for this. If they do, I will gladly throw more money their way. Hell, I will even do a pledge fund for that. 

A great release here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marillion - An Hour Before It's Dark, no review yet

So, I did say that most of the new reviews are going to be stream of consciousness as I listen, and that is mostly true. But, there have to ...