Monday, February 21, 2022

New family members for the weekend of 2/20/2022

Are there many things better than cheap records? Finding great music for a few bucks here and there? Seriously, does it get much better than that?

Oh, sure, I guess if you don't collect records or music, then it probably isn't so great. Heck, at that point it is probably a pretty good waste of money, no matter how little you spend. I guess if you prefer gumballs, and that is your ideal purchase for a weekend, then $2.00 on a dusty piece of vinyl you might never listen to is a pretty big waste. 

Nonetheless, for those of you who do like music, $2.00 of a great find it a wonderful way to spend your money.

So, in the spirit of celebrating cheap finds, why not take a little look at the wonderful finds from this past weekend?

The Nice - Elegy (1971)

I like Emerson Lake and Palmer, but that is as far as it goes. One of those bands that were always just shy of being great, in my opinion. Musicianship they are second to none. Brilliant as players, and that really can't be argued. Their songs, however, always fell just a little short. More flash than substance. 

The Nice is Keith Emerson's band before he joined ELP. I have never really given them much of a try, so I decided to finally step into it with this. I believe I have seen some people prefer The Nice. 

Was it worth the hefty price tag of $3.99? Stay tuned to find out! I do love that Hipgnosis cover, so that is a win there.

Caravan - Caravan and The New Symphonia (1974)

It's Caravan. It's a live Caravan album. I don't walk away from that. This was the most expensive item. Paid $10 for this one. I don't usually balk at buying Caravan, regardless of the price. It is usually a pretty rare day that one finds certain albums by them, so if you like them, grab them. I already know what to expect, so I know my money is safe with the material. One of the few prog bands that even in their "bad" years managed to turn out quality material.

King Crimson - U.S.A. (1975)

Similar to the Caravan. Live Crimson. I don't know as if Crimson are capable of turning out garbage. Even if the material isn't to your liking, the quality of everything under the hood is there.

You know, they're kind of like another ELP for me, though. I like Crimson. I don't love them. I like them. But, Crimson has more that I like than ELP. This covers some pretty great material, even at only 6 songs. I have the cassette. But, having the cassette only means I haven't listened to it in 30 years or so. 30 years???

Jukka Tolonen - Crossection (1975)

No idea. Looks Prog. It is on the Janus label, which means it is Prog. Reading up on the guy on Prog Archives it almost sounds like he is legendary, but even the band that spawned him is totally unknown to me, and they only have a few albums out. No, I don't remember their name, and I am not super interested in searching them out right now. In a couple of days when I listen to this thing I will comment on that stuff then. 


I did check out a little of the band he came from (again, don't know the name off hand and I don't speak the language, so it totally didn't stick), and they are pretty fantastic. 

Pretty Things - Savage Eye (1975)

This is a band I have been interested in for a few years, but never grabbed anything by for some reason. In fact, I haven't even really checked them out on a stream. I think I was always holding off until I got something by them. I believe they are a band that straddled almost every genre there is, but never fell into just one of them. Si, I grabbed it and am looking forward to this one. For some reason I kind of lump them mentally with Golden Earring. 

So, these will all be spun over the week and I will write about them all as I get to them. I also grabbed a couple more today for only $0.50 a piece. Trevor Rabin's debut and the 80's damaged Renaissance album Time-Line, which features Ian Mosely from Marillion on drums! 

Stay tuned for the excitement!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marillion - An Hour Before It's Dark, no review yet

So, I did say that most of the new reviews are going to be stream of consciousness as I listen, and that is mostly true. But, there have to ...